Wednesday 20 April 2011

Serenel Rosato Frizzante, Bettini NV

I didn't see this one coming; sparkling rose Corvina from Soave, Veneto but here it is in my glass. I am not one to shy away from the unusual and lesser spotted sparklers so I gave this organic, semi-sparkling wine produced by Bettini a go.
Garnet with a few small bubbles and a little fine beading on the rim the nose shows hints of black cherry, blackcurrant, strawberry and raspberry with a toasty note from wood influence.

The darker flavours present on the nose carry through to the palate with hints of chocolate adding to the mix and the wine shows similarities with some of the red Aussie sparklers that I've tried in the past. Although the bubbles are a little sharp around the edges the Serenel Rosato Frizzante would make a good sparkler for a hot summers day as an aperitif or accompaniment to barbecue meats.

I was not sure what to expect from the Serenel, whether it was going to be a super sweet disco sparkling wine or something more akin to battery acid. It's not a style of sparkling wine that I think will take over the world but it was pleasant enough and if someone were to hand me a glass along with some meat on a stick it wouldn't spoil a sunny day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment