Sunday 10 April 2011

Ritzling NV-Archer McRae



Sometimes I feel that the universe aligns just for me. Whilst I am still in visa purgatory in New Zealand, the Kiwi's have kindly provided me with some joyous bubbles and more importantly, sparkling Riesling a-plenty! So when I waltzed in to see Eddie at Pollux in Wellington he was excitedly waving the Ritzling at me.

The funky little bottle of happiness (their words) has a spankingly modern label and comes in a 250ml serving. A vinous offering of joy and sunny times comes from Chris Archer of Archer McRae over the hill in Martinborough.


At only 9% I was expecting a sweet treat but I wasn't sure if it would be the bottled happiness the label promised. Although luckily for me the stars were aligned and it turns out that just sometimes, happiness can be found in a bottle!

Ripe and fruity on the nose there are bags of flavours to be found, honey, lemon, summer meadow flowers, a certain grapeyness combined with white blossoms and papaya. On the palate the ripeness forms a more tropical approach with pineapple, mango and a little peachy stone fruit note coming through. Although there is an obvious residual sweetness the acidity is balanced and freshens up the palate to stop it being cloying and heavy. The bubbles are more of a cheerful spritz than a full on sparkle but it still shines.

This is a really pleasant, fresh and fruity sparkling Riesling which is a welcome addition to the sparkling world. The official launch of Ritzling isn't until the 28th of April which to me means two things should really happen.

Firstly, is it possible to convince the winery/PR people that high-tea or at the very least small but perfectly formed cakes should be passed around with the wine? Secondly, if you live in Wellington or the not too distant surrounding area one can enjoy a little demi-sec pick me up at your leisure before the rest of the world jump onto the Ritzling band wagon. Either way can only bring more happiness, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment