Wednesday 25 May 2011

Yellowglen Cremant 2007



The last night in Wellington was an emotional one as I was heading back to glorious Tassie to start work but it meant saying goodbye to my small friend. My small friend is not a plastic giraffe but she is a very, very funny 1 year old so we had a big family dinner to see me off to Tas and them off to Thailand.

Having spent a whirlwind week which saw me toast my wonderful grandmothers long life with Pol Roger Rose 2002, Sunday lunch was a more muted affair with our usual roast chicken and a bottle of something. Off-dry and easy drinking according to the blurb I thought I would give Yellowglen another try after the success of the Yellowglen Perle 2006.


After writing up the Rosemount Ruby O it is interesting to go to another big branded sparkler and get such a different response.  Pale lemon with small fast moving bubbles and some beading on the rim the nose had toasty notes, baked apple, yeastiness and tropical fruits all thrown in.

Ripe and fruity on the palate the residual sweetness added a roundness and softness to the wine and it doesn't become cloying due to the fresh acidity and crisp lime and lemon citrus elements.

The wine held up to gossiping and a fine roast chicken so it did its job for the evening. Some tears, smiles and giraffe impressions later we were all off on to the next adventure to see what life has in store for us all.

Rangipo Desert, New Zealand

No comments:

Post a Comment