Saturday 5 March 2011

No bubbles shocker part 2: Martinborough Vineyards

One of the things I particularly enjoy about working in the wine industry is that it is relatively easy to ask people you admire for advice or guidance. If you were a struggling musician the opportunity to ask David Bowie about custom made guitars or managing your identity in a cut throat industry would be nigh on non-existent. Although still would be wise to pick your questions wisely, I'm impressed by Tim Atkins pictures from his recent California vineyards trip but if I was to ask him for advice on how to improve my own pictures then he probably would tell me to start using a camera and stop using my phone....

Luckily for me after a morning with Helen at Ata Rangi I had the opportunity to have a flying visit with Paul at Martinborough Vineyards. In the UK I was lucky enough to sell the MV Pinot Noir and the Te Tera at Majestic Wine Warehouses but it is only when I found my way to New Zealand that I've tried some of their other varietals. I have always enjoyed the Te Tera as it is designed for younger drinking with it's bright, fresh, crisp fruit but it will also reward your patience if you tuck it away somewhere for a few years with some savoury, gamey complexity.

 
Like Helen, Paul was in the midst of pre-harvest prep and shared with me some more similarities in their wine making styles. He too takes a minimal intervention approach with the wines being left to ferment naturally and additions being used only when necessary. I asked him about 'natural' wine making where the wines really are left to make themselves and he seemed pretty keen to find out more about the whole shenanigans before sitting back and letting them sort themselves out in a truly hands-off approach!

As time was short I didn't do a full tasting as The Matterhorn has kept me in MV Sauvignon Blanc since I arrived in Wellington and Majestic kept the Pinot flowing so I snuck in a little Chardonnay as it's a real over looked gem. Everybody gets very excited about the Sauvignon and the Pinot but there are some absolute beauties in the kiwi chardonnay stable.
The MV Chardonnay kept the dream alive...crisp, fresh acidity balanced out with a hint of toastiness and a mix of fresh apples and stone fruits. An elegant and well structured wine it is drinking beautifully now but will continue to mature over the next few years. 

Sadly that was it for this visit to Martinborough Vineyards but next time I look forward to some more excellent chardonnay and possibly a play of the dinosaurs...





No comments:

Post a Comment