Wednesday 23 February 2011

No.29: Domaine Chandon Blanc de Blancs 2006



Domaine Chandon, Yarra Valley


Blanc de Blancs is a funny old thing. If you had asked me a couple of years ago how I liked my bubbles I would have said without a shadow of a doubt  heavy on the Pinot Noir but then I tried some really good Blanc de Blancs from Ruinart, Gloria Ferrer and one of my favourite champagnes of 2010, Pol Roger Blanc de Blancs 1999.

With fruit sourced from around the Victoria region this is another belter from Domaine Chandon. A beautifully aromatic nose with hints of citrus, apricot, white flowers and nuts  which continues on the palate with crisp, fresh apple, some creaminess and an enjoyable intensity. I still stand by my food and wine pairing of blanc de blancs and jamon and in an exceptionally slow penny dropping moment I think my enjoyment of great b de b's over the last couple of years has in no small coincidence collided with discovering really good Spanish hams.

Iberico in particular is so sweet, juicy and salty that the thought of a casual afternoon spent with very fine company, a bottle of the 2006 B de B from Domaine Chandon and the stunning backdrop of the Yarra Valley would be hard to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment