Tuesday 13 December 2011

No:54 Arras Grand Vintage 2003



Just over a year ago I started the 'Living The Dream' phase of my life and moved to Tasmania. For those of you that have never visited Tas-vegas....Tanzania is the place in Africa, no it isn't that cold and the bubbles are the best non-Champagne sparkling wines on the planet.

When faced with the long journey back to the UK, the biggest question is always which wine to take with me. Most of my friends aren't massively amused that I've moved away to the actual other side of the world so I was planning on appeasing them with quality beverages on my return.

The choice of bubbles was a nightmare, I'm surrounded by awesome fizz everywhere I turn. In the end I decided to go for a classic, Arras Grand Vintage 2003 made by sparkling wine maestro Ed Carr. Produced from fruit sourced from the Derwent, Huon and Glenora Valley the wine is Chardonnay dominated with a very specific 38.7% being Pinot Noir.

Arras did me proud. Golden and vibrant in the glass with a lively bubble and very creamy mousse. On the nose the richness came through with candied fruits and a yeasty characteristics which followed through to the palate where it was met with a surprisingly youthful palate. The acidity is still pretty lively, the palate almost tight and very well constructed with the mushroomy notes of development mingling comfortably with honey and baked apple. 

We started off our epic sparkling-a-thon with this wine which was perfect for a reunion and the bringing together of my new home and the place where I grew up but presented me with another problem. What the hell should I take back next time?

For the full list of 100 Australian Sparkling wines to try click here

No comments:

Post a Comment