Tuesday 13 December 2011

Bollinger R.D 1995


1995 was the year I was legally allowed to buy alcohol. I say legally as if you've ever met me, I've looked like this since I was 14 so my love of bubbles and access to it may have started slightly earlier than it should have done.

Paintings in the attic aside, when it comes to Bollinger I do ever so slightly turn into an awkward teenage girl gibbering in front of Take That.  I'm constantly impressed with the wines of Bollinger and the RD 1995 was no exception.

Disgorged a dogs age ago, the bottle was kept by a friend of mine for a 'big occasion' weddings, birth of child, that kind of thing and as that hasn't occurred just yet then 'friend returning from Australia' would just have to do.


Aside from being a stonker of a year, the R.D 95 spends at least eight years on its lees before being disgorged which gives it a real freshness on release. This bottle was disgorged quite a while ago so there was a real maturity to the champagne with nutty, earthy, mushroomy characteristics coming through.

The fruit was rich and intense with baked apple, stone fruit, honey and nuts and a clean acidity which complimented the mature flavours. The RD was definitely 'at peak, drink now' and it was a real treat to enjoy the wine at its peak instead of tasting its potential.

Another hit for Bollinger and just to balance out the universe I retained my teenage girl idiocy that evening when I ran into a very handsome friend of mine  and being a little tired and emotional by then promptly turned into a gibbering teenager again. Sorry Reg, blame the Bollinger, one day I'll be as classically elegant as my favourite beverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment