Wednesday 18 August 2010

The word on the street

I've just read a great article from Liz Palmer a wine writer based in Canada about the man who brought Champagne to the rap fraternity, Branson B. .http://lizpalmer.wordpress.com/

Now let it be known now before things get any further that despite looking like Naomi Campbell's chunky little sister, I am unsure of the word on the street. I'm not entirely sure where it's at nor how it is hanging. I don't have any homies, a crib, a ride or beef with anyone. I'm not even massively sure what I've just written but I do know that where there is champagne there are rappers and it turns out the man to thank for that is a chap named Branson B.

Branson, being based in New York, was in prime location to hang out with P Diddy/Diddy/Puff Daddy/Mr Coombs/Sean and the Notorious B.I.G at the end of the 80's and since then Branson has ensured that Taittinger's Comtes de Champagne, Dom Perignon, Louis Roederer's Cristal and its replacement Armand de Brignac have all been introduced to hip-hoppers. These days he's in proud posession of his own champagne range http://www.bransonbchampagne.com/ 

The real question for me here is, do other music categories have such strong links with particular drinks? I mean obviously for goths it's anything that looks like blood and nothing that could possibly cheer them up but do country musicians only drink bourbon and then sing about it? Do pop bands only drink luminous soft drinks and Red Bull? 

Back in the day it was Jack Daniels for rock bands (now this is more my area of knowledge, I still have a bottle of J.D given to me by Samuel L Jackson) although I can't see kids walking around the streets wearing T-shirts with Veuve Cliquot on them somehow.

As for house music, that is still eejits shovelling down narcotics in a dark room and listening to repetitive beats isn't it?



No comments:

Post a Comment