Thursday 11 November 2010

California Dreaming-Day 1

There are two ways to get to Australia from the UK and I picked the long way. It was a genius idea, if I wasn't headed to Tasmania then I would have to be forcibly removed from the Napa Valley.

I started as I meant to go on with a visit to Domaine Chandon in Yountville. Now these guys have the perfect balance between great wine, stylish surroundings and great hospitality. I visited Domaine Chandon in the Yarra Valley a few years ago and its American counterpart didn't disappoint. There are a good selection of sparkles to try, discounts for Club Chandon members and the tasting team are helpful but not pushy sales folks. I tried the EtoileBrut, Rose and Tete de Cuvee 2000 whilst I was there. The range is Chardonnay dominant and very good.

The Brut has seen 5 years ageing sur lees and is intense, concentrated with hints of spice and candied peel, the acidity keeps it fresh and clean and stops some of the big flavours being cloying. The Rose was a real foodie fizz, delicate salmon pink with a real savoury mushroom hit. It's sophisticated and elegant but not for those who want bags of red fruits from their rose. The star of the show (sorry...) is the Etoile Tete de Cuvee 2000 which is seriously impressive as it ought to be at $100. Rich and golden with a truffle and mushroom nose, creamy mouth feel and a long length this deserves its position at the top of the tree.








Sadly I had to tear myself away from Chandon to go and have a look at the town of Yountville. Which if you're not American is some kind of picture postcard town, it's a little bit like walking around a movie set. Timing wise I think I picked a pretty good time of year to go. Not as crazy busy as high summer but it was warm enough not to need a jacket and the blazing autumnal colours made it a joy to visit.

Being the nerd that I am I found myself in a wine merchants, V Wine Cellar http://www.vwinecellar.com/,
 other women buy shoes don't they? If you're ever in town, tear yourself aways from the restaurants and head down to this wine shop. They have chairs and tables outside and a great selection of wines to taste. I tried the Littauer 2008, Beckstoffer Chardonnay. which was delicious. A well balanced oaked Chardonnay with bags of fruit and a well balanced acidity. This was served with cheese breadsticks. Not a match you'll find in the great wine books of our time but with the great conversation from the guys who work there and a slightly dubious soundtrack it worked a treat.

My next stop was a death trap of a drive away in Sebastopol. Now when I Google mapped it the route took me across instead of down and round. DO NOT TAKE THIS ROUTE. Particularly if you are of nervous disposition. It takes an age and is an endless around and around of winding roads and  steep hills but it was well worth the journey to finally get to Iron Horse Vineyards.

Situated on the top of a hill the view is spectacular but it's really all about the wine. As it was a little late I only had time to try the 2002 Brut Late Disgorged which was a seriously impressive and classy fizz. Looking out as the sun went down with a sample of great sparkling wine was the perfect way to end my first day of tasting.





Full pictures from day 1 are on the Flute and Vine Facebook page...
http://tinyurl.com/2c2eta8   Ironhorse Chandon, Yountville album

No comments:

Post a Comment